• Contact
  • Privacy Policy
  • Disclaimer

Tutorial

  • DROPDOWN MENU
  • Home
  • Acne
  • Cystic Acne
  • Rosacea
  • How to get rid of acne
Home » fabric » fashion » helpful hint » My Secrets to Finding Inexpensive Fabric

My Secrets to Finding Inexpensive Fabric

Posted by Tutorial on Friday, October 26, 2012
Label: fabric, Label: fashion, Label: helpful hint

I always feel a little sick inside when shelling out big $$$ for fabric yardage. It really can get expensive. I do splurge every now and again for special projects, but when it comes to making things for myself or my kids, I always try to find the cheapest possible way to get as much yardage as I can. Today I'll let you in on my secrets...shhh!

Garage Sales
I have found some of my favorite fabric from yard sales -- especially estate sales where sometimes there are boxes and boxes of vintage fabric. When looking at yard sale descriptions, look for those who advertise craft supplies, or more specifically, fabric. I went to one yard sale because the advertisement said they were "cleaning out their craft room." TOTAL score that day. Yard and yards of fabric for less than $1 a yard.


Yes, I found all of this (pictured above and below) at one yard sale. She told me to stuff as much fabric into a grocery bag for $1 as I could. I did just that. I came home with upholstery, minky, cotton, fleece and flannel fabric.




Local Fabric Stores
  • Never pay full price for fabric at a big-box store like Jo-Anns. They ALWAYS have a coupon for 40% off a cut of fabric. If you don't already subscribe to their emails, sign up. Almost every email comes with a digital coupon for 40% off a cut of fabric or one item. Sometimes I'll get 50% off coupons.  Many local fabric stores put out similar emails with discount coupons.  
I used my 50% off coupon to buy the fabric to re-cover this chair.
    • If you buy the end of a bolt, a fabric shop will usually give you a discount. If I am looking for a few yards of fabric and one bolt looks like it's almost gone, I always go for that one and score a percentage off. 
    The vinyl for the top of this giraffe table was the last of the bolt so instead of $5 a yard, I got it for $2.
    • Don't pass up on the clearance aisle of fabric either, you may just stumble upon something fantastic. I got the fabric to cover my office chair for $5 a yard (normally $20 a yard):


    L.A. Fabric District
    You can read about my full experience with the wonders of this place HERE.

     All this fabric for $26? Yes, please!


    Online Fabric Stores
     If I need to purchase a ton of fabric, like I did for my chenille blanket and my chevron place mats, I will turn to online sources. Etsy and Fabric.com are my favorite stops. Fabric.com runs sales constantly on their fabric and you can usually find a free shipping code through Retailmenot.com.



    Thrift Stores
    Savers and Deseret Industries both have a fabric section. Savers sells theirs by the piece, usually $2-$3 for a large piece. DI sells theirs in grab-bags for $4 or so. These are the only thrift stores in my area, but I'm sure that others like Goodwill and Salvation Army have a fabric section as well with similar prices.  I even stumble upon fantastically-priced notions.


    All of these zippers were $0.25 each. Maybe not the right colors for a sewing project, but perfect for a zipper page in a quiet book.

    BUT where I always score big is in the curtain and sheet section. Instead of thinking of them as curtains and sheets, think of them as yards and yards of fabric for $2.


    Can you guess what my little girl wants to be for Halloween from these two fabrics? I'll give you a hint...I'm figuring out how to make a tail, fins and a seashell bra.

    How about you? Where do you go to satisfy your fabric needs without breaking the bank?

    0 Response to "My Secrets to Finding Inexpensive Fabric"

    ← Newer Post Older Post → Home
    Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

    All Blogger Tricks

    POPULAR POSTS

    • DIY Unconventional Headboards for Kids
      In our last house we went through a lot of milestones with my daughter. One of the biggest being the transition from a crib to a toddler bed...
    • Making Any House a Home and Some DIY Resources
      Your home is your haven�a place where you can get away from it all. You want it to be cozy and comfortable and fun to live in, while reflect...
    • Better Homes & Gardens: 36 Blank Wall Solutions
      I've had problems in the past coming up with solutions for blank walls in my home . Better Homes and Gardens' 36 Blank Wall Solution...
    • To-Do List: DIY Kitchen Organization
      The organizing bug bites me about twice a year: Spring and Fall. Leaves are falling 'round these parts so my house has been turned upsid...
    • House Progress
      It's about time I checked back in on the progress of our new house, no? Since moving in at the end of January, life has been a whirlwind...
    • DIY Christmas Gift Guide For Men - 2013
      I know, I know, Thanksgiving is this week and we shouldn't be talking about Christmas yet....but I'm so excited to share my 2013 DIY...
    • Mid-Century Modern Desk Makeover
      I often peruse my local online classifieds for furniture. Most of the time I'm not even looking for anything in particular, I'm just...
    • DIY Christmas Gift Guide For Women - 2013
      The countdown to Christmas is officially on. Have you finished gifts for all your special someones? No? Don't worry, you still have time...
    • Life of a Professional Crafter
      I craft for a living. I do. I go to work every day and from 9 to 5 make beautiful things for Cricut . However, when I get home, it's lik...
    • Product Review: 3M Window Insulator Kit
      Our new home has pretty nice windows. I love the inset pieces and, luckily, we haven't had to replace any of them. But, because they are...

    Most Comennted

    Blog Archive

    • ►  2015 (2)
      • ►  May (2)
    • ►  2014 (36)
      • ►  November (3)
      • ►  October (1)
      • ►  September (2)
      • ►  August (3)
      • ►  July (2)
      • ►  April (2)
      • ►  March (6)
      • ►  February (8)
      • ►  January (9)
    • ►  2013 (64)
      • ►  December (8)
      • ►  November (2)
      • ►  October (4)
      • ►  September (7)
      • ►  August (6)
      • ►  June (1)
      • ►  May (5)
      • ►  April (12)
      • ►  March (11)
      • ►  February (6)
      • ►  January (2)
    • ▼  2012 (48)
      • ►  December (12)
      • ►  November (12)
      • ▼  October (13)
        • Child's Card Table and Chair DIY
        • My Secrets to Finding Inexpensive Fabric
        • To-Do List: DIY Kitchen Organization
        • Fireplace Mantle to High-Gloss Shelf
        • Mirror, Mirror
        • The How-To Gal Family
        • Geometric Dresser DIY
        • Cricut Giveaway WINNER!
        • Child's Desk Makeover
        • Kids Say the Darndest Things: Handmade Notebook Ro...
        • Painted Arrow Onesie
        • CLOSED: Redemption and Cricut Mini Giveaway!
        • Arrow Love Roundup
      • ►  September (11)

    About Us!

    Risalah Islam

    Kategori

    • 3M
    • 3MDIY
    • 52 Week Mini-Journal
    • About me
    • Advent calendar
    • Amy Tangerine
    • Annie Sloan
    • Anniversary Giveaway
    • antlers
    • arrow
    • Baby
    • baby blanket
    • back to school
    • beeswax candles
    • Before and After
    • blogging
    • Book of Mormon Touch
    • boy nursery
    • canning
    • ceramic
    • chevron
    • Clock
    • color
    • craft
    • Cricut
    • crushed glass glitter
    • design
    • desk
    • DIY
    • DIY Christmas
    • DIY Christmas Gift Guide
    • DIY Costume
    • DIY Fashion
    • DIY halloween
    • DIY Thanksgiving
    • diy valentine
    • download
    • drool worthy
    • Earth Day
    • easy
    • embroidery hoop
    • fabric
    • fabric painting
    • Family
    • fashion
    • flower
    • Found: Vintage Home Decor
    • FREE
    • freezer jam
    • gardening
    • giveaway
    • gloss
    • gold
    • gray
    • great gift idea
    • Halloween
    • handmade gift
    • hello
    • helpful hint
    • herb garden
    • hidden potential
    • holiday decor
    • holidays
    • Home decor
    • homemade laundry detergent
    • House Tour
    • How To
    • I Did It Series
    • ikat
    • Inspiration
    • iron-on vinyl
    • kid craft
    • kid decor
    • kids
    • krylon
    • letter
    • letter decor
    • letters
    • Light Glass and Trend
    • makeover
    • mid century design
    • mint
    • mirror
    • Mod Podge
    • money saver
    • My Home
    • My Little Pony Party
    • navy
    • New Home
    • New Year
    • nursery
    • nursery design
    • oil based enamel paint
    • ombre
    • organize
    • origami
    • Painting tip
    • paper folding party
    • party idea
    • personal touch
    • pillow
    • Pinterest Party
    • playroom
    • Product Review
    • progress
    • project roundup
    • quilted
    • Recipe
    • red
    • Refashion
    • rugs
    • rustoleum spray paint
    • sale
    • scarf
    • scrapbook paper
    • sewing project
    • shelf
    • sign
    • sponsor
    • spray paint
    • strawberry
    • string art
    • Studio 5
    • sunburst
    • taxidermy
    • techie tuesday
    • to-do list
    • Top Projects 2012
    • Top Projects 2013
    • tutorial
    • upcycle
    • Valentine's Day Ideas
    • web find
    • What's in My Bag
    • white
    • yarn
    Copyright 2015 Tutorial. All Rights Reserved. Template by SL Blogger and CB Blogger. Original Theme by Mas Sugeng. Powered by Blogger